What is OpenAthens?
OpenAthens is an authentication system for accessing electronic resources. Registering for an OpenAthens account allows you to access the National Health Library and Knowledge service’s electronic resources with one username and password. Electronic resources are then accessible from any Internet enabled device at any location using your username and password.
How can I Register and activate my OpenAthens Account?
- Set up your account by completing the Registration form.
- Submit Registration Form.
- You will receive an email from the library service with information and a Link (URL)
- Click on the link (URL), or copy and paste it into your Internet browser to open it.
- You will be asked to create a password. Your password should be between 8 – 20 characters and include both letters and non letters, (eg numbers, symbols).
- Save your password
You can then use your account to find and access resources.
Video tutorial on activating your OpenAthens account
OpenAthens Terms & Conditions
Athens accounts remain the property of HSE library services. Personal Athens accounts are for the sole use of the employee to whom they are issued and are not transferable. Access to resources is provided for the purposes of work, research or education only. The hselibrary.ie Athens account holder undertakes not to infringe copyright residing in documentation or software. No hselibrary.ie Athens account holder will undertake any action that brings the HSE into disrepute. The hselibrary.ie Athens account holder will comply with the acceptable usage policies and licensing agreements of websites visited.