Health Library Ireland Data Protection
Your Personal Data
Health Library Ireland respects your right to privacy. We collect and use any data you give us in line with General Data Protection Regulations. To allow us to provide library and information services to you, and in communicating with you about your library and information needs, we occasionally collect and use personal information.
What we collect
- Library membership: we need a minimum amount of information to set up your library account and continue communication with you. This includes your name email address, phone number, postal address, staff number and work location. This information is visible to you by logging in to the library catalogue and provision of suitable contact information is part of the library membership Terms and Conditions – More details HERE (Terms and conditions page)
- Research request service: the information you provide for the purposes of fulfilling your request will be retained for statistical purposes and only for as long as necessary. More detail on this HERE.
- Your Athens account: To set up your OpenAthens account you need to provide some minimum information on the registration form such as your email, staff number and place of work. Only authorised HSE Open Athens administrators have access to this information. This information is not used for any other purpose or made available to any other parties. More details on OpenAthens data HERE (Open Athens service details)
- When you contact us: If you contact us directly with a research query or a question about your library account or services, we may retain your contact these details for statistics or to follow up your request
Our use of your data and your rights
- We only use the minimum information required and only appropriate HSE Library staff have access to your personal data
- The personal data is used only for the purpose for which it was given
- Your personal data will not be passed on or shared with third parties
- All efforts will be made to keep your personal information securely. If or where a data breach occurs which exposes your personal data we will inform you of this breach
- We will retain your personal data only as long as necessary and only for the purposes for which it was given. Details submitted through the research request service will be retained for 1 year. Library accounts on the library management system will be cleared after three years, Inactive Athens accounts will be deleted in 18 months
- You can get access to the data we hold on you at any time
- You can request that we remove your details from our records (bearing in mind this will severely restrict the services we can provide you)
HSE data protection policy
For more detail the general HSE data protection policy can be accessed HERE.